After achieving an A in GCSE catering I have been so eager to bake. I decided to bake this scrumptious recipe by Mary Berry. Hopefully it's 'Great British Bake Off' standard!
For the cake
225g caster sugar
275g self- raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp milk
2 lemons, grated zest only
For the topping
2 lemons, juice only
1. Cream the butter and sugar using the back of a metal spoon in a large mixing bowl.
2. Whisk 4 eggs in a jug/ small bowl, before adding into the creamed butter and sugar. Once done mix the three ingredients together to form a smooth, thick liquid.
3. Add in the flour, baking powder and milk. Gently fold the mixture in a figure of eight to avoid the air escaping.
4. Grate the zest of two ripe lemons before stirring into the mixture.
5. Butter two silicon cake tins and add the mixture in evenly.
6. Put in the over for 10-15 minutes, until the edges start to curl away from the tin and it's golden brown. Gas mark- 140
7. Whilst the cake is in the oven, weigh out the caster sugar in a bowl, squeeze two lemons and stir both ingredients together.
9. Whilst still warm, poke a few holes in the cake using a knife, then gently pour over the lemon juice. Spread evenly on top and leave to set for 5 minutes for a crunchy topping.
10. Serve and enjoy!